WEG2G is a social site that offers networking and group meet-up services (read "Thirty Features of WEG2G that One Should Not Miss" for details). After registrations, users can add new connections, create a group profile, and more. In this article, I briefly survey the WEG2G connections and its privacy settings. Precisely, here are ten privacy settings for the WEG2G connections.
1. Public versus connection avatar. WEG2G gives users the freedom of having two avatar pictures, one presentable to the public, and the other available only to their connections. That way, you can hide your identity from strangers or casual users.
2. A-List versus F-List. When you add someone to your connection, by default, WEG2G will entitle him/her as your acquaintance or "A-List" member. That way, you can only share a limited amount of info with him/her. Later on, you can easily promote your A-List members to your friend list or "F-List." For instance, you can upload different profile pictures for your A-List profile versus F-List profile.
3. Friend's friends visibility. Casual users usually find other site users through friend's friends and try to submit unsolicited inquiries to them. By the same token, they can keep track of your best friends' site activities. To avoid the said shortcomings and protect the user's privacy, WEG2G makes your connection's connection invisible to all the users. Nonetheless, WEG2G offers the Common Connection tool where you can easily see people who are the common connections of your connections. (Read "WEG2G Common Connections: Ins And Outs" for details).
4. No relationship status. Unlike Facebook, WEG2G does not share a user's relationship status like married, single, etc with the other users, even your close friends.
5. Public, user, A-List, F-List profiles. WEG2G, by default, creates four types of profiles for a user. Public profile, which is available to the public and only contains your nicknames, public avatar picture, country, and state information. The user profile has more info relative to the public one, while only being available to logged-in users. A-List and F-List profiles progressively include more info about a user which are only viewable by the user A-List and F-List members respectively. The hierarchy of profiles is a great WEG2G asset for protecting users privacy.
Stay tuned for Part 2.